Total Pageviews...

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Miracles are for REAL!

I did it ya'll!!! I just submitted by short essay on who inspires me and why to Kaplan Test Prep!

It was nerve racking to narrow all my thoughts down into this tiny 250 word summary but I just finished and I am ecstatic! :) Even if I don't win, which I don't really think I will, I am still super happy that I pushed through my momentary stresses (with the help of my beloved Isaiah) and submitted it. Now lets just hope it doesn't have any typos lol!!!

Here it is:
Every young woman needs that she looks up to, someone that inspires her, and someone that’s a good example of what it is like to be secure in herself. All my life I have struggled with being that one black girl in a room full of Caucasians. My mom would constantly encourage me to be proud of my ethnicity and realize that black was beautiful. Unfortunately I never quite believed her. In my mind, the only picture of universal beauty was a woman like Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Munroe, both tremendously stunning women but neither had any connection to my heritage. Then one day as I blindly followed my mother around Victoria’s Secret I found myself face-to-face, nose-to-nose with a poster. Startled I backed up and allowed my eyes to focus on the beautiful ebony woman portrayed in front of me. She was poised and elegant, confident and demure. A woman that seemed to recognize her heritage and was clearly confident in the skin that she was placed in. That woman was Chanel Iman. Never before had I come across a woman that demonstrated so many characteristics that I want to develop. Chanel Iman has a perfectly balanced sugar and spice personality, a shy, quiet, yet confident way of presenting herself to scouts and an undeniably beautiful face. Chanel Iman is the type of woman that inspires me because she shows me that even a woman born out of two second-world ethnicities, such as myself, can make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment